Header Ads

Resetting Grub2 Anyone?

GNU GRUBSalam to all.

I just upgraded my box and with it, there was a new kernel; Kernel 2.6.31-16-generic.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
The upgrading process went smooth and well and suggested me to restart at the end of it.

Now, I did the restart and booted back into Ubuntu in 35 secs. Then, I remembered that there was no GRUB page displayed! You know, the page with the kernels to choose...

It just restarted and booted automatically. I did
uname -r
to check if I booted the new kernel. The result is somewhat very weird. I booted with my old 2.6.31-14-generic kernel instead of my new 2.6.31-16-generic kernel. What did happened?

Anyway, at that time, I did not have the luxury of neither the time nor the 'will-power' to find-out why this is happening. I just want to boot with my new kernel as it supposedly happen. So, I opened-up Synaptic and search for grub.

The list gave me ; grub and grub-pc and some other grub related packages. I just removed them and reinstall grub-pc a.k.a grub2 again.

After asking about some options for my new grub installation, the installation process ended successfully. I quietly restart and hoping I could boot without errors. Surprisingly, it did booted well and uname-r reported new kernel. Whoa.. thank god!

Well, who said wild theory doesn't kick as#?

4 comments:

  1. mine, after installing others OS, i cant boot into my ubuntu, just boot using live cd, then using terminal

    $ sudo -i
    $ mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    $ grub-install –root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

    ..can reboot then.after that, just update-grub again..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah..that could worked for me too, but I'm to lazy to type those command..eheh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mustakim... your blog have been added to my listed blog..

    ReplyDelete

Terima kasih.