Header Ads

mountall problem -- can't mount plymouth

Salam.

If you have been following this blog then you might know that I have been testing Lucid Lynx since before Alpha 1. Today I decided to give a go on installing plymouth and removing usplash and also upgrading mountall. I just did my sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and it put me into an interesting problem upon reboot. The system can not start X. It reported :
mountall problem--can't mount plymouth and droping to maintenance shell or Control-D to reboot

Is this an Xorg error or mountall or plymouth? After scratching my heads a few times and try to fix it with almost all the workaround I know with no avail, I decided to stop and make myself a cup of coffee :(


I need to think out of the box. The problem seem very hard to fix. All I have right now is a system with no internet connection and a static grub menu. A menu with no countdown. This is odd. Why is my grub menu also broken? There are no updates on grub. I'm very sure of that! Then I remembered that I already fixed the grub before. So I thought, maybe this is connected?
My wild teory - again! Reset the broken grub by removing and reinstalling it. Anyway, I used the LiveCD and chroot to my Lucid partition and follow these instruction from the ubuntu GrubTesting Wiki.

If your grub reports an error boot, you need to boot the system using a USB Key or LiveCD.

$sudo fdisk -l
$sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
$sudo mount --bind /dev/ /mnt/dev
$sudo chroot /mnt

Here I did

$sudo apt-get remove grub-pc
$sudo apt-get install grub-pc

I just ignored the error reported and continue.

$sudo grub-install /dev/sda
$sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

Hit CTRL+D to get out of the chroot, unmount dirs in LIFO order, /mnt/dev and /mnt. reboot the system and you are good to go!
I rebooted and back to the GUI in 27 secs. Huh!

The Actual Problem and The Damn Easy Solution:

Actually the problem lies in mountall and plymouth but the solution is in grub! For what ever reason, mountall and plymount want grub to be quiet with splash on to boot properly! So the bottom line is...
If you got "mountall problem -- can't mount plymouth", please reboot.
On the grub menu page ( yes, the page with the kernel list ), just press 'e' to edit and add quiet splash at the end of your kernel line, e.g :

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-9-generic root=UUID=7ebcfe33-6914-42ec-9d2e-0859f7396933 ro quiet splash

Press Ctrl+D (or was it Ctrl+X?) to continue booting. Then just do remove and install grub-pc in Synaptic. GOOD LUCK!

No comments

Terima kasih.