Compiled below is a list of the top 10 new features in Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.
1. Windows users – Wubi new installation tool for Windows users. This tool helps Windows users easy install Ubuntu and still have Windows installed. Also here is the old umenu tool. Some will love it, some will hate it, but that is what the Ubuntu developers prepared for the second LTS (Long Term Support) release of their 100% FREE operating system, Ubuntu Linux.
2. PolicyKit - PolicyKit is now integrated in the administrative user interfaces. PolicyKit allows fine-grained control over user permissions and enhances usability and security, by allowing administrative applications to be run as a normal user and gaining extra privileges dynamically only for privileged operations instead of requiring the whole application to run as root.
3. Xorg 7.3 – The new Xorg 7.3 is coming with Hardy Heron. This ability brings a new Screen Resolution utility that allows users to dynamically configure the resolution, rotation of a second monitor and refresh rate. This will be particularly handy for laptop users, those who connect to a projector or external monitor.
4. Boot change – In early version of Ubuntu, in the boot menu screen we have only one option to chose if we want give it a try or install it. It was called “Start or install Ubuntu”. Now when Live CD is booted automatically offers to chose your language, and you have two new options “Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer” and Install Ubuntu.
5. Gnome 2.22 - Hardy Heron brings you the latest and greatest Gnome 2.22 with lots of new features and improvements, such as a new Nautilus that uses GVFS as its backend. It also brings a significant performance boost to many operations.
6. World Clock Applet – This clock can display time and weather in mutliple locations.
7. Kernel – Ubuntu 8.04 also brings a new kernel 188.8.131.52 which comes packed with the “Completely Fair Scheduler” for improved interactive performance and dynticks support for power saving on the both desktop and laptop computers.
8. New Applications
* Seahorse – the new “sheriff in town”, set to manage your encryption keys.
* Transmission – the default BitTorrent client.
* FireFox 3 Beta 5 – replaced FireFox 2 and it is now the default browser in Ubuntu 8.04.
* Vinagre – a brand-new VNC client, which makes connecting to single or multiple machines
* Brasero – the new CD/DVD burnung tool in Ubuntu Hardly Heron.
9. Memory Protection - Secure Memory Management, will help defend against rootkits and other malicious code.
10. Firewall - Ubuntu 8.04 includes UFW ( Uncomplicated Firewall ), a new host-based firewall application configurable from the command line which is designed to make administering a firewall easier for end users while not getting in the way of network administrators. You can simply start firewall with sudo ufw enable.
Related articles :
Automatically change Wallpapers in Ubuntu
Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Alpha
How to play .rmvb files in Ubuntu
How to use Wubi - Install Ubuntu from Windows
10 reasons to convert to Linux, 5 not to
Ubuntu 8.04 Preinstalled!