If you are jealous of your geeky linux friends that have Compiz running under linux, you should check out Deskspace 3D, a small application for Windows XP / Vista that will give you a decent substitute for the "Desktop Cube" effect.
I found that the transitions are just a little bit slow (especially on older hardware), but tolerable. I probably wouldn't use this on a regular basis, but it's a nice piece of eye c andy to show off.Without further ado, here's there story from their website:
Features and Benefits
DeskSpace dramatically enhances your desktop experience, allowing you to:
- Work and play on multiple desktops.
- Display multiple desktops in stunning 3D.
- Quickly switch between desktops using the mouse and keyboard.
- Drag windows between desktops by moving them to the sides of the screen.
- Display desktops in 3D on multiple monitors.
- Configure the hot keys and mouse buttons used to switch between desktops, and how DeskSpace displays and manages desktop.
- Use DeskSpace in multiple languages.
The minimum system requirements for DeskSpace are:
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows Vista x64.
- 800 Mhz CPU.
- 256 MB RAM.
- 16 MB DirectX 8.1 compatible video card *.
DeskSpace ((1 License)) price: 65.23 MYR (19.95 USD)
Product Website: http://www.plimus.com/jsp