Most computer users understand that you need an operating system to use a computer practically, even if it is not clear why. But many users don't.
- My Friend: "What's your operating system?"
- Me: "Linux."
- My Friend: "You better uninstall it!"
- Me: "Why?"
- My Friend: "The government uses Linux to look through your computer and see your every move. They use it as a security camera into your world."
- Me: "Sure...."
- Tech Support: "May I ask what operating system you are running today?"
- Customer: "A computer."
- Tech Support: "What operating system are you running? Windows 95?"
- Customer: (a little too excited) "95, 97, 98, I've got them all!"
After conferring with her husband, it turned out she owned a Macintosh with System 8.1.No.3
- Friend: "I heard about this thing called 'Linux'."
- Me: "Oh, I use Linux."
- Friend: "What is it?"
- Me: "An operating system."
- Friend: "Like Firefox?"
I was calling to sign up with a new DSL provider. When the guy asked what operating system I was using, I said, "Linux." I was put on hold for five minutes, and then a supervisor came back and told me, "You can't use Linux to connect to the Internet. It's a hacker tool, anyway." I almost fell out of my chair.
Note to self : This also happened to me not long ago, I called my Stimix technical cust.support about my miscapped bandwidth. Firstly, she didn't even know what is bandwidth capping. Secondly, after been put on hold for 5 minutes, she said it because I'm using Linux, and Stimix doesn't support Linux!!! Wahahhahaha....You should try it sometimes for good laughs.
Overheard in a software shop:
- Woman #1: "What this Linux thing?"
- Woman #2: "It's a program that if you have it on your computer, you can't turn the computer off."
- Woman #1: "Oh."
A customer walked into the computer store I work in, wanting to return a computer.
- Me: "Sure, is it defective?"
- Customer: "No, that's not the problem. When I took it home and turned it on, I realized it was only half programmed."
- Me: [scratching head] "What do you mean by half programmed?"
- Customer: "Well, look at the computer on display." [points to the Windows 95 desktop] "Do you see how all the programs are on the left side of the computer?"
- Me: [biting tongue] "Well, you are right sir, I will take your computer back."
I decided the moron had to solve his life before he could buy a computer.